Strawberry Jam Recipe:
- Sugar (weight of clean strawberries multiplied by .6%)
- Lemon Juice (weight of clean strawberries multiplied by .02%)
- Vanilla Paste (2 Tablespoons)
- Pinch of Salt
- To clean the strawberries, slice the green tops of the strawberries and then cut the strawberries in half length wise.
- Combine Strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla paste, salt and let sit over 4-6 hours or overnight. Toss a few times throughout this process with a spoon. This process is called macerating and will pull the liquid out of the berries helping them to soften and sweeten.
- Add to a pot big enough to accommodate the amount of berries you have, cook on low heat until strawberries and juice has tightened to jam consistency.
- The strawberries weight to sugar and lemon juice ratio was from an amazing cook book called, The Sqirl Jam Book by, Jessica Koslow. The other components are how I like the jam made, its a great way to make sure you get all of those strawberries out of the fridge before they go bad. I would remember when I was little my Granny would make this with all the berries that might not have been the prettiest. Im more of a Grape Jelly fan myself, however this strawberry jam is fantastic on toast, PBJ (grape is better!) and so many other fantastic applications. Post a picture of your favorite jams and let us know how you like our recipe!